If you’re looking at adding simple upgrades to your home, you may have come across LED strip lights. They can be an affordable option to create ambient atmospheric lighting in your home!
But before you rush to install LED strip lights in your home, it’s important to consider the potential damage they can cause if applied incorrectly. Is it worth it to stick them to wallpaper?
This article will guide you through:
- The pros and cons of putting LED strip lights on wallpaper
- A few ways of attaching and removing the strips without causing damage to the wall
- Top tips for preventing wall damage.
Let’s get into it!
- Can You Put LED Strip Lights On A Wallpaper?
- Pros and Cons of Putting LED Strip Lights on Wallpaper
- Things to Consider When Putting LED Strip Lights on Wallpaper
- Choose the best place for LED strip lights
- How can I stick LED strip lights on the wall without damaging the paint/wallpaper?
- Do LED light strips damage walls?
- What’s the right method for installing LED light strips?
- How can I remove LED strips safely?
- Changing the Mood in Any Room with LED Strip Lights
- Tips for Securing LED Strip Lights on Wallpaper
Can You Put LED Strip Lights On A Wallpaper?
Yes, LED Strip Lights can go on any smooth surface. You’ll just need to make sure the wallpaper is smooth and clean, as this will ensure the lights don’t damage your walls.
Pros and Cons of Putting LED Strip Lights on Wallpaper
LED strip lights work on smooth surfaces
You can attach LED strip lights to any smooth surface. Installing them on textured wallpaper will create an uneven application that will peel off over time.
Tip: Try putting a strip on a small part of your wall first to see how the adhesive acts!
LED strip lights are flexible
Another advantage is that the strips are super flexible! This means they can easily fold around corners and can even be cut to a required length.
LED strip lights are lightweight
LED strip lights typically won’t cause strain to your wallpaper, and will stick without falling off.
The adhesive on the back of the LED strip lights is strong
The strong adhesive is both a pro and a con. While having strong adhesive will ensure the lights don’t fall off the wall, it can potentially cause damage to paint or wallpaper when removed.
Possible downsides of putting LED strip lights on wallpaper
Although some LED strip lights come with strong adhesive, the lights could fall off and damage the wall if you purchase a brand that isn’t as strong.
Another downside is that the lights generate heat when they are turned on, which can damage the wallpaper over time.
On a similar note, using too much power for the lights creates a fire hazard. As such, these are some crucial factors to consider before installing LED strip lights.
Things to Consider When Putting LED Strip Lights on Wallpaper
Choose the best place for LED strip lights
Adding LED strip lights to your room can create the perfect mood and highlight accent walls.
However, if you’re worried about damaging paint, you can try sticking them to the top of a wardrobe or shelf.
How can I stick LED strip lights on the wall without damaging the paint/wallpaper?
Before you install your lights, you’ll need to make sure the walls are clean and smooth. You can clean them by running a damp cloth over the surface and then allowing time to dry.
It’s perfectly safe to attach the lights to the wall using the supplied adhesive, but if you’re still unsure, here are some options that won’t damage your paint:
- Double-sided tape: If you’re worried about the adhesive, using durable double-sided tape can be a good solution. Simply fix the tape to the back of the strip, then peel and attach it to the wall.
- Command strips: These are good for temporary installations, as they don’t leave any residue when taken off. To install, just fix it to the back of the lights, and then to the wall.
- Velcro strips: This is another method that’s easy to remove! Attach one side of the velcro to the back of the lights and the other to the wall. Then, press together.
- Magnets: This is a good permanent solution, as it doesn’t damage the walls and is easy to remove. All you need to do is attach the magnets to the back of the lights, and then to the walls.
- Hooks/nails: Unfortunately, this option isn’t renter-friendly! However, it can be a good permanent solution. This method requires screwing/nailing hooks into the wall, then looping the strips around them.
Do LED light strips damage walls?
Unfortunately, LED light strips have the potential to damage walls if installed incorrectly or if they’re removed too quickly.
What’s the right method for installing LED light strips?
There isn’t just one correct method for installing LED strips on your walls.
The best way to go about it is to test the strips on a small bit of wall before committing. And if you’re still unsure, try some of the temporary solutions listed above!
How can I remove LED strips safely?
Removing the LED light strips is the part that most often causes damage to your walls. However, if removed correctly, you can get away with no damage!
The goal is to weaken the adhesive so the lights easily peel off the wall. First, ensure the lights are unplugged.
One method is applying heat by using a hair dryer. This makes the adhesive soft and easily removable.
After applying heat, run something like an old credit card or a knife under the strips as you gently pull them away from the wall. Go as slow as you can; speeding up heightens the chance of causing damage!
You can also weaken the adhesive by using rubbing alcohol, which dissolves the adhesive and makes the strips easy to pull off the wall. Be careful using any other liquid, as this may cause damage to your paint or wallpaper.
Changing the Mood in Any Room with LED Strip Lights
LED Strip Lights are the perfect tool for creating the atmosphere you want. You can purchase multi-color lights, or keep it simple with white tones.
Warmer tones will create cozy resting spaces – perfect for bedrooms, living rooms, or dining rooms. On the other hand, neutral tones create a daylight effect, which makes them applicable anywhere.
A cool white tone will create bright focused lighting, which is perfect for kitchens, bathrooms, and work spaces.
Tips for Securing LED Strip Lights on Wallpaper
Ensure proper adhesion
Make sure you clean and dry the surface before applying, to ensure the adhesive sticks to the wall.
Prevent damage to the wallpaper
Don’t use too much pressure when installing the lights! Be gentle, otherwise, you risk damaging the wall.
Create a clean and seamless look
Use measuring tape to measure out your light strips, and cut away the excess.
Now that you’ve read through this article, you’re ready to install LED strip lights in your home without damaging your walls. Let me know how you go!